Louisiana Fortify Homes Program
The Louisiana Fortify Homes Program (LFHP) is a grant program that provides up to $10,000 to homeowners to upgrade their roofs to the FORTIFIED™ Roof standard set by the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS). This standard is designed to strengthen roofs and make them more resistant to hurricane-force winds.
To be eligible for the LFHP, homeowners must:
- Own and occupy the home as their primary residence
- Have a homestead exemption on the property
- Have an in-force wind insurance policy
- Have an in-force flood insurance policy if the home is in a Special Flood Hazard area
- Have a home that is in good repair and eligible for upgrade to the FORTIFIED™ Roof standard as determined by a FORTIFIED™ Evaluator
How to Apply
To apply for the LFHP, homeowners must visit the Louisiana Department of Insurance website and create a profile in the LFHP system. Then, they must complete and submit an online grant application. The application process will open periodically to receive online applications, which will accept a limited number of applicants on a first-come, first-served basis.
A FORTIFIED™ Evaluation is a required step in the LFHP grant process. This evaluation is performed by a FORTIFIED™ Evaluator and determines whether the home can be upgraded under the LFHP and what work is needed to upgrade the home. Homeowners are responsible for paying the evaluation fee.
Benefits of Upgrading to a FORTIFIED™ Roof
Upgrading to a FORTIFIED™ Roof can offer a number of benefits to homeowners, including:
- Reduced risk of roof damage during severe weather events
- Lower insurance premiums
- Increased peace of mind knowing that their roof is more likely to withstand a hurricane or other severe weather event
How Fortified Inspections Can Help
Fortified Inspections is a FORTIFIED™ Evaluator and can help homeowners with the entire LFHP process. We can perform the required FORTIFIED™ Evaluation and help homeowners develop a plan to upgrade their roof to the FORTIFIED™ Roof standard. We can also provide guidance on how to apply for the LFHP grant.
If you are a homeowner in Louisiana and are interested in learning more about the LFHP or how to upgrade your roof to the FORTIFIED™ Roof standard, please contact Fortified Inspections today.